About Me

My photo
While you are reading this, a panda is doing something adorable.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Doughnuts. It's easy and takes only about an hour and a half. The end results are AWWWHHHSOME.

Okay first I'd like to thank my boyfriend and his father for helping me with this. My boyfriend took pictures and his dad helped me cook the dough in grease, you're both super awesome. Anyway, I tried to make soft pretzels yesterday and needless to say they tasted naaaaaaaaaasty. So today I made doughnuts. They tasted like happiness. Oh, right you came here for instructions, riiiiiight.


Go to where you keep stuff and get this:
Okay first I used a jarred blend of flour. It was:
2 cups brown rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca starch (or flour it's the same thing don't be fooled!)
You will use  2 cups of this.
Shake it up and set aside. You also need:
1 Tbs. butter (melted)
2 cups buckwheat (I used light buckwheat but any should be fine)
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbs xanthan
Oil to fry, I mixed canola and vegetable oil.
LOOK I put something in a jar! I'm uber-trendy. 
As trendy as an 80 year old....
Now, do as I say....

Melt the butter then mix the milk and egg in to it.
DO NOT EAT.
Now that it's mixed add the sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, and nutmeg.


Blend until it looks like the picture below, then add 2 cups of the rice flour blend:

Okay here is where the buckwheat comes in, it won't be a good enough texture so add the buckwheat flour little by little until it's a good enough texture to pick up and hold together in a ball. You most likely won't use two cups of the buckwheat flour but just in case have that much.
It should be the texture of a meat puppet.
I kid, I make bad joke.
hehehe.

IT DOESN'T BOUNCE, DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP
NOT REAL BALL. JUST DOUGH.

Stick the ball of dough in the fridge for about 20 minutes covered in a damp paper towel or cloth.
That.
Meanwhile heat your oil, make it at least 230 degrees (F). The dough should sizzle and float when it makes contact. Flour a surface with cornstarch or something to roll out. Roll the dough out, and cut with something circular shaped, I used a cup.




I used a shot glass, because I'm hardcore. And you know, you're not hardcore unless you live hardcore.
Okay time for the oil. Pictured are when they're ready to be flipped and when they'e done. Keep them in the oil for about 30 seconds per side. If you feel they're done sooner (everyone is different), take them out.



Then just powder or whatever you want to do and go OMNOMNOM. Let them cool, unless you want the sugar and stuff to melt on to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment